NDKRead is a program launched in partnership with North Dakota’s Center for Distance Education (NDCDE) and Waterford Institute’s UPSTART program to help kids acquire the skills they need to enter kindergarten knowing how to read. This is a program designed to supplement, not replace an already existing pre-school program.
How it Works
The program utilizes adaptive online software to target instruction for kids in the areas of reading preparedness where they most need help. Each student receives a personalized learning pathway based upon areas of strengths and weaknesses. The targeted areas include:
- Phonological Awareness
- Comprehension and Vocabulary
- Language Concepts
- Child is enrolled in the program for 12 calendar months.
- Each family receives a care representative from North Dakota that provides weekly and monthly progress reports. The care representative is also there to provide support and guidance throughout the length of the program.
- The child logs into the program with a parent or guardian 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Goal is 75 minutes of weekly usage over the length of a traditional school year calendar.
- Child is prepared to read upon entering kindergarten.
Cost Per Enrollment
- NDSOS Member Schools: $139
- North Dakota Residents: $169
- Non-North Dakota Residents: $250
How to Enroll
To enroll in the NDKRead program please click the link below.
- Desktop computer, laptop, or iPad
- Daily Internet access
Listed below are Kindergarten Readiness reference documents.
|2016 Longitudinal Study||Download|
|Investing in Innovation Grant Study||Download|
|Ohio Pilot Review||Download|
|Waterford Institute: By the Numbers||Download|